Thursday, September 12, 2019

inductive arguments, exercise, fall 2020

are these inductive arguments strong or weak? S: strong, W: weak.

1. If I get an A, then I will pass this course. Odds are, I will make a B. So, I probably won't pass this course. 

2. The platypus is not a mammal (google & find out) because no mammal lays eggs, and the female platypus does.

3. The last time I ate here, the shrimp dish I ordered was disgusting. It must be the case that this restaurant buys lousy seafood. 

4. The sign on the candy machine reads "Out of Order." The candy machine must be broken. 

5. Every day you've lived has been followed by another day in which you've been alive. Therefore, everyday you ever will live will be followed by another day in which you are alive. 

6. Nobel prize-winning biologist Herbert Ralls says that chlorinated hydrocarbons in our water supply constitute a major threat to the public health. Since no scientists disagree with him on this point. Accordingly, we conclude that the presence of these chemicals is a threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment