Monday, March 14, 2016

homework, chapter 6 (ethics of duty, part 2)

Dear class: Let's go back to some points in Formalism, now that I have added W.D. Ross's revision of Kant. (Go to page 187. Kantian Heritage).

1. how is acting from duty exemplary?
2. why should morality be impartial?
3. why is respecting others important?
4. why did Kant miss the importance of human inclinations?
5. Kant excluded emotions from his formalism. Why? How could emotions be included wothout betraying our notions of duty?

from my W.D. Ross' post:
1. according to W D Ross, what's the difference between a prima facie duty and an actual duty?
use the example I provided. keeping a promise to A endangers the life of B.   
2. what's my prima facie duty?, what's my actual duty?
3. is "breaking my promise" my actual duty?
4. Ross really doesn't provide a duty hierarchy, yet, "self-improvement" is not at the top of his duties. why?
5. think of a situation where self-improvement becomes a higher ranked duty.

from my self-respect post:
1. explain why dignity is "absolute inner worth" according to Kant?
2. why is dignity intrinsic?
3. Discuss how Paul Dodhson connects time, sex, relations and drugs, with the idea of dignity.





No comments:

Post a Comment